Are you ready to dive deeper into addressing how to teach mathematics and English Language Development in tandem?
Student success in mathematics has shifted from solely being able to “solve the problem correctly” to being able to explain mathematical thinking and reasoning in both spoken and written English.
For these reasons, this two-day intensive summer institute focuses on deepening understanding of the components of high-quality instruction that integrates the Common Core StateStandards for Mathematics, the Standards for Mathematical Practice and the California English Language Development (ELD) Standards so that all students can experience success in developing conceptual knowledge and the English language simultaneously. The learning is grounded in the CA ELA/ELD and Math Frameworks to ensure that all students develop academic literacy, analytical practices, and deep content understanding in mathematics.
Professional learning is differentiated into three grade spans: TK–2, 3–5, and 6–8. School and district teams are highly encouraged to participate together in the two-day institute for optimal learning and implementation.
The institute will focus on strengthening teaching and learning in four major areas:
- Fostering collaborative academic conversations among students that support mathematics and English language development in tandem.
- Building disciplinary literacy.
- Observing students closely to provide both planned and just-in-time scaffolding.
- Creating positive and culturally responsive learning environments.
Participants will engage in collaborative, interactive tasks:
- Discussing key readings, including those related to culturally responsive teaching.
- Participating in and analyzing standards-based, framework-aligned “keystone pedagogies” and model lessons.
- Sharing and developing new ideas about scaffolding student learning, formative assessment, and equity; and establishing positive learning environments in which all learners can thrive.
Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Dates and Locations
August 1–2, 2018
Corona-Norco Unified School District
2820 Clark Avenue
Norco, CA 92860
Specific times and locations along with travel and logistics information will be sent out in a confirmation letter.
Who should attend?
- School and district teams of teacher and teacher leaders.
- Instructional coaches and principals.
- District and county office leaders.
- Teacher education faculty.
- Interested community organizations.
$1,000 per person
$800 per person for teams of 4+ people
Cancellation received on or before:
July 6, 2018: 100% of tuition refunded
July 13, 2018: 75% of tuition refunded
July 20, 2018: 50% of tuition refunded
After July 20, 2018, we will not be able to refund tuition
If you have questions or would like more information about registration, please email: LeadingWithLearning@wested.org.