Dates: July 26–29
Time: 9:00 am – 11:00 am PT / 12 pm – 2 pm ET
This four-module learning series engages participants in learning how to design academically rigorous learning experiences for English Learners while offering them the supports to simultaneously develop language and disciplinary practices.
The course will be facilitated by staff from WestEd’s Quality Teaching for English Learners (QTEL) initiative. QTEL works to provide both elementary and secondary educators with the tools they need to accelerate language development, academic literacy, and disciplinary knowledge of all students, particularly English Learners.
Who Will Benefit
Elementary and secondary educators of English Learner students including K-12 teachers, teacher leaders, and instructional coaches. Note: A new session is now available to support elementary educators. Learn more.
What You Will Learn
We’ll be exploring the following overarching themes:
- Module 1: Pedagogy of Promise for English Learners
- Module 2: Pedagogical Scaffolding for English Learners
- Module 3: QTEL’s Three-Part Lesson Architecture for English Learners
- Module 4: Designing and Implementing Powerful Learning Opportunities for English Learners
All modules require substantive participant engagement and reflection in three parts:
- Phase 1: Preparation. Participants engage in theoretical readings, video analyses, and online discussions about major themes of each module in order to prepare them for a live session.
- Phase 2: Live Session. Participants engage in synchronous activities from a student’s perspective as they experience how the themes introduced in phase 1 can be translated into powerful learning experiences.
- Phase 3: Application and reflection. Drawing upon experiences from the live session, participants engage in deep analysis of ideas, tasks, and pedagogical moves found in the exemplar lesson. Subsequently, they will reflect on the entire module and plan ways they can implement the ideas and strategies presented.
Dates & Times
July 26 – 29
9:00am – 11:00am PT
$900 per participant
- The course must be taken in sequence.
- The course is a total time commitment of 20 hours and consists of a mix of synchronous and asynchronous activities.
- Each module includes a two-hour synchronous session.