Getting to Know You Through Observation
The Getting to Know You Through Observation DVD illustrates the importance of observation in early child care and education settings. It offers strategies for developing accurate and reliable systems of observation and recording.
Part One of the DVD provides an overview of observation and strategies for implementing an objective, accurate observation system to support the use of the Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP). Part Two features three vignettes that focus on infants and toddlers, preschoolers, and school-aged children.
Overall, the DVD models how to record observations, strategies to develop and manage an observation system, and the process of reviewing and reflecting on collected documentation. This DVD will show you how to:
- Be a more skilled observer
- Understand that objective, accurate observation of children occurs in their natural program setting over time
- Integrate observation into the daily schedule
- Reflect on observation notes, daily logs, and children’s work
- Analyze observation notes, samples, and reflections
- Use observation to assess and document children’s strengths and areas needing improvement
This DVD was developed as part of the Desired Results Training and Technical Assistance Project, which is offered by the California Department of Education, Child Development Division in collaboration with the Center for Child and Family Studies at WestEd. For more information about Desired Results, or to download the Getting to Know You Through Observation Trainer’s Guide and the Training Workbook, visit the Desired Results website.
Product InformationProduct #: CCFS-08-03
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.