Reading Apprenticeship Academic Literacy (RAAL) Course: Teacher’s Guide Unit 2, Reading History
Unit 2: Reading History of the Reading Apprenticeship Academic Literacy Course introduces close reading of a range of history texts and genres. Readings focus on the topic of “rights,” and especially the women’s suffrage movement in the United States. Students continue to practice literacy skills introduced in Unit 1 and add new strategies related to the reading of history texts specifically.
The Teacher’s Guide for Unit 2 includes:
- Unit overview and rationale
- Scope and sequence
- Student goals
- Lesson plans and lesson background information
- Companion sustained silent reading lessons
- Documents for projection
- Copies of Unit 2 Student Interactive Notebook pages
- Reproducible pages for student metacognitive logs
- Assessment tools
- Connections to the Reading Apprenticeship Framework
Included with the Teacher’s Guide are Iron Jawed Angels (DVD) and a large timeline to be developed with the whole class.
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.