Recorded on December 10, 2020
Formative assessment is a set of practices that enable students and teachers to track progress and adjust learning and teaching during lessons as needed. This ideally leads to more dynamic learning and student agency in classrooms which, in turn, is associated with better student learning.
This archived webinar focuses on the association between formative assessment and self-regulated learning, which was explored in a new REL West study that analyzed survey results for more than 1,200 teachers and 24,000 students in three Arizona school districts.
What You Will Learn
This webinar will:
- Describe the theory of action underlying the study
- Explain and answer questions about the study’s findings on formative assessment and student self-regulated learning
- Share an example of how one participating Arizona school district has worked to promote key practices highlighted in the study
- Pam Betten serves as the Chief Academic Officer for Sunnyside Unified School District in Tucson, Arizona, leading the Curriculum and Instruction Department. She provides direct oversight for core content area directors, special populations and exceptional education departments and professional development.
- Lenay Dunn is the Deputy Director of REL West, leading the program’s portfolio of applied research and analytic assistance to state education agencies, districts, and schools. She also serves as a partnership lead for REL West’s Arizona Literacy Partnership to use evidence-based decision-making approaches to strengthen K–3 literacy outcomes.
- Margaret Heritage is an internationally recognized expert in formative assessment and independent education consultant. She was principal of the laboratory school of UCLA’s Graduate School of Education and Information Studies and was Assistant Director at the National Center for Research on Evaluation, Standards, and Student Testing.
- Reino Makkonen provides evidence-based analysis and technical assistance to policymakers and practitioners served by REL West and the Region 15 Comprehensive Center at WestEd. He serves as the REL West Director of Research-to-Practice Initiatives and lead for the REL West Educator Effectiveness Alliance.
- Marie Mancuso is Director of Region 13 Comprehensive Center at WestEd, where she provides expertise, onsite consultation, and guidance to state education agencies. Her work enables education leaders and policymakers to examine, develop, and implement key education policies and initiatives that strengthen and improve student outcomes.