Math Pathways & Pitfalls: Place Value and Whole Number Operations with Algebra Readiness—Lessons and Teaching Manual, Grade 2-3
This volume of our Math Pathways & Pitfalls K–8 curriculum helps students tackle stubborn pitfalls head-on and transform them into pathways for learning key standards for grades 2–3. The lessons in this book address place value and whole number operations interwoven with algebraic reasoning. In rigorous research studies, Math Pathways & Pitfalls significantly increased student achievement for diverse students, including for English language learners, in all grades tested.
Math Pathways & Pitfalls lessons and instructional strategies:
- Help students master key mathematical standards.
- Include concepts important for algebra readiness.
- Provide students with guided and independent practice.
- Support academic language development.
- Add value to any adopted curriculum.
- Prevent common pitfalls on homework and standardized assessments.
This all-in-one book contains everything a teacher needs to teach Math Pathways & Pitfalls with ease and success, including:
- 21 complete lessons
- Teaching manual
- Videos of Math Pathways & Pitfalls in action
- Black line masters of student handouts, classroom quizzes, answer keys, and resources
- Discussion Builders classroom poster
- Teacher professional development tasks, activities, and video footage
Product InformationISBN: 978-0-914409-59-5
Praise for this Resource
“The dual focus on student thinking and discourse is critical to helping teachers learn to be more effective.”Edward A. Silver, Professor of Education and Mathematics, University of Michigan
“The misconceptions and pitfalls that Math Pathways & Pitfalls uncovers and corrects are ones that teachers and students have historically dealt with: from place value and number errors in the early grades, to whole number and rational number confusion in the upper grades. Using the methods in this book, teachers and students ‘get it.'”Susan Gruebele, Elementary Assistant Principal
“Before using Math Pathways & Pitfalls, my special needs children wouldn’t speak or participate much in class. But as we went through the lessons in this book, all of my children wanted to shine — and they did shine!”Linner Maggard Moore, Second Grade Teacher
Subscribe to the E-Bulletin and receive regular updates on research, free resources, solutions, and job postings from WestEd.
Your download will be available after you subscribe, or choose no thanks.