Recorded on October 18, 2022
In this online conversation, Nancy Gerzon, Project Director for the Formative Insights Team at WestEd, led an insightful discussion with Dr. Lorena Llosa, Professor of Education in the Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development at New York University, on supporting Multilingual Learners through formative assessment.
- The role of teaching, learning, and assessing English learners’ content and language proficiency
- The shifts required in instructional strategies with English Learners in the content areas
- Eliciting, interpreting, and using evidence to provide feedback
- Fostering a Culture of Learning that Promotes Student Agency
- Leading Voices Podcast Episode 2: Amplifying Student Agency with Formative Assessment
- Perspectives on Formative Assessment, Student Agency, and Equity Online Conversation Series (Recordings Available)
About Formative Insights Team
Amplifying student agency and identity is at the center of Formative Insights, our unique model of formative assessment. We help educators cultivate inclusive learning environments where students develop positive learner identities and feel equipped and empowered to direct their learning. In this model, teachers share responsibility for learning with students and effectively shift towards a lasting culture of internal accountability in which students learn from one another and their teacher. To learn more about our work, visit https://csaa.wested.org/formative-insights.