Recorded on March 11, 2021
As part of the COVID Education Equity Response Collaborative, WestEd is leading a year-long Equity Accelerator to support California county offices of education (COEs) in improving alignment of whole-child and whole-school efforts that cohere around a vision of equity.
Using a two-tiered approach, the Equity Accelerator is providing a statewide professional learning series and an intensive fellows program for select COEs.
In this archived professional learning session, two student leaders and experts in youth engagement, leadership, and equity present strategies for engaging often-overlooked stakeholders in education decision-making and helped COE participants explore new ways to move from “doing to” or “doing for” stakeholders to “doing with” them.
- Zoë Jenkins, Kentucky Student Voice Team & Civics Unplugged
- Zachary Patterson, San Diego Unified School District Board & California Student Board Member Association
The resources below are listed in the order they were shared in the chat. Follow along with the session recording for additional context.
- View publicly available state and local school climate data on the CalSCHLs Public Dashboards
- Education Reimagined Article: Youth-Adult Partnership: The Keystone to Transformation
- Edutopia Video: The Site Council: Empowering Students Through School Governance
- Video: San Dieguito school board OKs full reopening (an example of poor stakeholder engagement and co-creation)
- Kentucky Student Voice Team
- Diversity. Inclusion. Cultural Competency. Equity. (DICCE) Curriculum, Resource Guides, and Workshops
- EdWeek Article by Zoë Jenkins: Why I’m Designing Anti-Bias Training for My Classmates
- California Student Board Member Association
Sponsored by the COVID Education Equity Response Collaborative’s Equity Accelerator, this is the second in a year-long series of events designed to improve and align whole-child and whole-school efforts to cohere around a vision of equity.
Read a recent blog from the Equity Accelerator that expands on Jenkin’s and Patterson’s presentation. It focuses on some key questions educators can ask themselves as they strive to be more inclusive of student and other stakeholder voices.
Questions? Contact equityaccelerator@WestEd.org.
Subscribe to the Equity Accelerator email list to receive alerts for upcoming professional learning opportunities.