Recorded on March 15, 2015
This webinar was sponsored by the Secondary Literacy Partnership.
This webinar presents lesson activities using historical investigations to develop the California Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts/Literacy.
The emphasis of the lesson activities is on building student skills in close reading, identifying vocabulary and point of view, and citing evidence in writing.
Shennan Hutton presents the lesson activities, derived from the History Blueprint curriculum of the California History-Social Science Project. The activities are grounded in historical content from the History and Social Science Content Standards for California Public Schools.
Hutton, a former high school history teacher, is an adjunct lecturer of history at the University of California, Davis.
This webinar is part of the series, “Implementing the Common Core State Standards: Classroom Connections.”
Other Webinars in the Series
- Special Needs Students and the Common Core State Standards [Archived]
- Beyond the Test: ELA Performance Tasks on Smarter Balanced Assessments and Implications for Classroom Instruction [Archived]
- A Close Encounter, Through the Writers’ Eyes, of the New ELA/ELD Framework [Archived]
- Voices from the Field: Teachers Share about the New ELA/ELD Framework [Archived]
- Literacy in the Science Classroom: Think, Read, Talk, and Write Like a Scientist [Archived]