Recorded on February 03, 2021
As many school buildings remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is even more important to engage families and caregivers to support learning outside the classroom.
This archived webinar, developed by REL West, REL Northwest, and REL Northeast & Islands, will highlight the 2014 What Works Clearinghouse Practice Guide, Teaching Academic Content and Literacy to English Learners in Elementary and Middle School and share nine activity sheets based on the practice guide as well as an associated Educator’s Guide.
The activity sheets are available in English and Spanish for parents and caregivers to use with their children at home.
Who Will Benefit
This archived webinar was designed for district and school staff working with English learner students in grades K–5 and their families.
What You Will Learn
Increase your understanding of the following:
- Research-based practices in the What Works Clearinghouse 2014 English Learner Practice Guide
- Ways the family and caregiver activity sheets (FCAs) can be used to strengthen language development of their children at home with simple and fun activities
- Ideas for reaching out and supporting families and caregivers as they use the FCAs
- Heidi Larson, Cross-REL/TA Outreach Coordinator, REL Northeast & Islands
- Johnpaul Lapid, Senior Research Associate, REL West
- Karen Pérez, Parent
- Kelli Scardina, Senior Advisor – Equity and Systems Improvement for Emergent Bilingual Students, REL Northwest
- Lori Van Houten, Director of Analytic Support, REL West